Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A little social experiment

So today I conducted a social experiment (it wasn't planned) but it turned out to be an eye opener.

I was headed to class in the MARB and for some reason ended up going against the flow of traffic so I decided to wait. Mind you I was holding the door open the entire time waiting for everyone to come out. This is where the experiment began. I stood by that door for a good 6 minutes while hundreds of kids filed past me on their way out of the building. Out of these hundreds can you guess how many acknowledged my presence by thanking me for holding the door open?

Go ahead.....guess.

......

...................

...............................

...................

......

Did you make your guess?

21 people. 21 people out of hundreds!

People fail. Where are your manners?

I must admit this made me realize I'm not always the nicest either. So what I learned from this is that I have to make a conscious effort to notice when others do nice things for me and THANK them for it.

Seriously, how much better would the world be if we were all just a little bit nicer to each other.

1 comment:

Alyssa and Tyler said...

Serious?? LAME!! I am disappointed in everyone that didn't say anything.